Shrimp Egg Rolls
I have made a lot of egg rolls over the years but this is by far the best. I decided to make this video for my niece. I bought her a bunch of Asian ingredients over the Holiday break because she loves Chinese food. One ingredient I bought was Five Spice Powder. One issue novices run into with five spice powder, is they use too much. It can be overwhelming and ruin a recipe as quick as it adds flavor to one.
The guts are filled with fresh veggies, large chunks of shrimp and subtle flavor. Check out the recipe because it is not your standard egg roll recipe. One tip is when frying in hot oil start with one egg roll at a time until your temperature balances out. I monitor my oil when deep frying. I hope you enjoy and try this one because it is worth your time.
- 3/4 lb of deveined shrimp
- 1-2 T of low sodium soy sauce
- 1 T Sesame oil
- 1 C of finely chopped bok choy
- 1/2 C of finely chopped fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 C of shredded carrots
- 1/4 C of chopped green onions
- 1/4 C of chopped cilantro
- 1 garlic clove chopped
- 1 t fresh ginger
- 1/8 t of five spice powder(maybe a bit more)
- 2 t sesame oil
- combine ingredients and chill for 2 hours
- heat pan and add canola or peanut oil
- add a few hot peppers but this is optional
- saute shrimp until done
- set aside to cool then coarsely chop
- Combine all ingredients including shrimp
- add a pinch of salt
- set aside for greens to break down a bit and stir again
- Wrap in egg roll wrappers using water on edges to glue wrapper shut
- Heat oil to 350-375 degrees
- Fry until done. Note after you fry on one side you will have to hold with tongs to keep egg roll from flipping back around.
- Serve with your favorite sauce or just plain and enjoy!
If you like this recipe give this a try. Click on photo for link to page.