How to make a authentic Szechuan Kung Pao Chicken dish. I added green peppers and zucchini which is not traditional. Kung Pao Chicken has a rich hot sauce. This version is probably hotter than what you get in a American restaurant so be mindful of how many peppers you add. Shrimp could be substituted for chicken.
- 1 1/2 C if cubbed chicken (breast or thighs)
- 1 t dark soy sauce
- 1 t sesame oil
- 1/2 t white pepper
- 1 t salt
- 1 t mirin or Shaoxing rice wine
- 1 t baking soda
- 2 t corn starch
- 2 T chicken stock
- 1/4 C black vinegar
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1-2 t dark soy sauce
- 1 T corn starch
- 1/4 t white pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 t ginger
- 2 t Szechuan pepper corns
- 2-8 hot dried peppers
- 1 zucchini
- 1 green pepper
- 1/4-1/3 C unsalted peanuts
- 1/3-1/2 C chopped green onions
- mix all ingredients and set aside at room temp for 15 minutes
- Mix chicken stock, black vinegar, sugar, dark soy sauce, corn starch and white pepper together.
- roast szechuan pepper corns for 30 seconds in dry hot pan and finely crush
- roast peanuts for 30 seconds in hot lightly oiled pan and set aside
- remove seeds from hot peppers
- use high heat and stir fry chicken in 1/4 C oil
- remove from heat when 70-80% cooked
- add zucchini and green peppers and stir fry for 1-2 minutes
- add garlic, ginger, Szechuan peppercorns and dried peppers
- cook for 30 seconds and add sauce (make sure you get sugar if it settles to bottom.
- turn heat to medium
- add chicken and stir
- add peanuts and green onions
- Stir and serve!!!
If you like this recipe give this one a try. Click here for link to the page.