I have been wanting to make a chicken burger for a while now. I was going to make one a few weeks ago but the local butcher was out of ground chicken and I didn’t want to clean my food processor. Just before I went to Tennessee in June, I made two different kinds of barbecue sauces. This is my southern influence recipe using that sauce. If the chicken burger in the video looks yellow that is from the turmeric in the spice blend.
The burger is topped with pickles and a red cabbage mango habanero barbecue sauce. I used a pretzel roll because I live near Amish country and these rolls looked better than anything else.
The only real trick to keeping a chicken burger from falling apart is egg and bread crumbs. It also helps to freeze the burgers for 10- 15 minutes before cooking. If they are too soft they will fall apart. All in all, it is not really that difficult. You can vary the heat by adding more or less habanero. Hope you enjoy!
How to make a Mango/Habanero Chicken Burger with a Pretzel Roll.
- 2lb of ground chicken thigh meat or process in a food processor
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 green onions
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-1 1/2 salt
- 1-1 1/2 cumin
- 1-1 1/2 smoked paprika
- 1-1 1/2 onion powder
- 1-1 1/2 turmeric
- 1-1 1/2 white pepper
- 1-1 1/2 parsley
- 1 egg
- 1 C bread crumbs
- 1/2 C any bbq sauce
- 1 mango
- 1/2 habanero
- 2 C red cabbage finely shredded
- 1 green onion
- 1T white vinegar
- 1/3 C of mango/habanero bbq sauce
- mix everything together except egg and bread crumbs and refrigerate for 2 hours
- remove to room temp and add egg and bread crumb
- let stiffen and form into 8 burgers
- freeze for 10-15 minutes on covered plate
- heat oven safe pan and canola oil over med/high heat and sear on each side
- place in oven until done 165 degrees at 400 degrees for 7-9 minutes
- let rest for 5 minutes
- blend mango, habanero bbq sauce in a blender and let chill until ready. You can do this the day before.
- add all ingredients and refrigerate
- or any other good bunn. I broiled roll with butter.
- Serve and Enjoy!