Blackened Chicken with Red Pepper Sriracha Mayonnaise Episode 22
Ok, this is my pet peeve recipe. If you visit a chain, live in the North or just in general, most blackened anything, is just a meat with their version of spices. The first time I moved here I sent it back. I was thinking what is this! Blackened chicken is cooked in really hot cast iron skillet, with butter and a ton of spice. Don’t do this inside unless you have a really nice exhaust fan.
The red pepper Sriracha is trendy but I have been eating it for 30 years. Don’t buy it because this version is better and easy to make. Even if you don’t want blackened chicken give the mayonnaise a try.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 clove of fresh garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped red pepper
- 2 t sriracha
- 2 drops of hickory smoke flavor
- melted Butter
- cajun seasoning
- I make my own but never exactly the same!
- 1 T seasoning salt mix
- 1 T garlic salt mix
- 1 t paprika
- 1 T cumin
- 1/3 C dried peppers such as ancho, de arbol, chipotle, jalepeno, new mexico etc
- any combination of the above. Just try and see what you like, I don't really measure
- Mix all ingredients with hand mixer and refrigerate for 2 hours
- Do this outside unless you have a great exhaust fan!!!
- heat a cast iron pan to 500 degrees. The bottom of the pan will turn white.
- flatten chicken to an even thickness
- coat in melted butter
- cover chicken with cajun seasoning(I mean a heavy coat)
- set chicken in pan and cook for around 4 minutes per side (depends on thickness)
- after you flip chicken to other side you can ad a tablespoon of butter on top of the chicken
- let rest for 10 minutes and serve
If you liked this recipe give this a try. Click on the photo for the link to the page.